Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Enjoy the Enjoyable

Having grown up in Utah; having it made very clear that most humor is too negative or offensive or [insert reason to not enjoy life here]; wanting to pretend I was destined for high(er) society; whatever the reason, as I reached adulthood, I no longer allowed myself to enjoy--truly enjoy--the myriad jokes and senses of humor out there.

Watching funny movies would sometimes evoke a smile. A very funny movie, a chuckle. One evening, well into my young adulthood, I sat in a theater waiting for the latest comedy to start. I cast my mind back to all the other comedies I had watched in the recent past. All those movies I had sat chuckling quietly while the audience roared in laughter. I thought of the Def Comedy Jam--and other such stand-up comedy events--I noticed the audience practically throwing themselves out of their chairs in completely unrestrained gales of laughter. Sitting there, in the darkening theater I made the conscious decision to enjoy the upcoming movie; I decided to laugh out loud, to loosen whatever hold on my sense of humor my years of bad habits and erroneous beliefs had tied.

I've never enjoyed a comedy more.

Since then, I have heard quite a few statements about having a sense of humor. Some warm, some fuzzy, some sticky sweet. And some, just plain cool. From "You are never truly defeated so long as you can laugh" to "Time + Tragedy = Humor."

Don't get me wrong. I don't expect anyone to enjoy everything. That would cheapen...well...everything. I'm talking about lightening up. Enjoying the enjoyable. Unrestrained. If you enjoy, enjoy it! Enough of the fear of looking foolish as you nearly pee yourself from laughter. Look at the painting in slack-jawed (albeit unbecoming a prude) wonder. Let that tear run down your cheek as you listen to your favorite score. Stand up and cheer for the opposing team when they make that perfect play.

After that movie, after making that decision to free myself, it is easier for me to see that there is a bit of humor in just about everything. People tell me I have no sense of humor because I laugh at slapstick, puns, potty, dry, and/or cutting jokes; I hear I have no taste because I see the beauty even in the ugly. And through it all, whenever someone comments on my lack of refined taste...I just laugh.

1 comment:

El Ponderado said...

We should all enjoy a LOT more of what life offers us every day. Great blog!