Friday, February 29, 2008

Give a Dad a Trance!

I followed the nurse into the nursery to watch as she took my new baby's vitals. Ever vigilant to the comings and goings of people around me, I broke my gaze from the baby and watched a nurse wheeling a new baby into the nursery, the baby's dad following closely. The nurse walked away to fill out some paperwork and the new father stood close by the bassinet, staring down at the mewling man cub. His demeanor was a study. He stood with hands half-in and half-out of the bassinet as though not quite sure what to do with them. He was grinning a half grin and his eyes had a far away look to them as he took in the entirety of a massive beauty in a tiny bundle of new life.

I thought, "Man, that guy looks a bit goofy." And yet I couldn't help but feel a strange kinship with him. Then I took my hands out of my pockets...and put them back in as I turned back to gaze at my new baby. I was only vaguely aware of a goofy grin and a slight discomfort at not knowing quite what to do as I stared down at a tiny bundle of wondrous life and energy.

Another connection to a perfect stranger. Not the baby...the other dad in a state of wonder and nearly drooling from awe.

1 comment:

El Ponderado said...

Beautiful! Takes me back to the birth of my daughter. I was beyond goofy with my first two - just blindly and stalely did what the nurses directed. With the girl it was different. Maybe because it was a girl, maybe because it was my third. Either way, I was mesmerized. Out of my senses in love and awe.

Congrats Adam!