Friday, February 22, 2008

Why Appearances Don't Matter

So I spend an extra few minutes in the restroom, making sure my face is free of debris and my nose is free of...debris. You see, I was planning on going to the System's Architect to ask a question, and I wanted the focus to be on what I was saying, not on what about my face was distracting him. Satisfied, I went to the SA, asked my question, got the answer, and just couldn't figure out why he was grinning.

On my way back to my cubicle, I sensed something was definitely not right. Sure enough, the fly was undone. It must have been the breeze. Whatever it was, it became crystal clear that appearances--no matter how important they are to others--are completely the wrong focus; I'm clearly always going to have something distracting going on. Boog--uh...nose detritus, zits, dried skin, cowlicks, impressive gut, undone zippers.... And people wonder why my preferred method of communication is electronic.